Call for Papers: Pioneers and Pathbreakers
Patrick McCray, Charissa Terranova, Eddie Shanken, David Carrier, Annick Bureaud and Roger Malina.
In anticipation of Leonardo’s 50th anniversary, we are seeking papers dealing with the history of developments in the arts, sciences and technology. The aim of the project is to establish reliable, selected, online documentation about twentieth-century artists, scholars and institution builders whose works and ideas are considered seminal in the development of technological art. Since its founding in 1966, and the publication of the first issue in January 1968, Leonardo has accompanied and championed the work of the pioneers who were just beginning to use computers and other emerging technologies for artistic purposes.
We are interested in topics including the following:
- Memoirs by pioneer artists using new media (holography, computer and electronic arts, telecommunication arts, interactive arts, new materials, space arts, bio art, etc.). Texts must be written by the artist, in English, and cover an extended body of work. Length may be up to 2,500 words, 8 illustrations. Preference will be given to artists describing early work carried out prior to 1980.
- Memoirs of engineers and developers who collaborated with artists or whose engineering or computer science work in the 1960s, 1970s and/or 1980s proved to be important for developing the new art forms based on new and emerging technologies.
- Memoirs by curators who organized art-and-technology exhibitions in the 1960s, 1970s and/or 1980s
- Memoirs by pioneering collectors who were early supporters of technological artists.
- Memoirs by pioneering institution founders of organizations, university programs or centers pre-1984.
Readers of Leonardo are asked to encourage their colleagues to submit such memoirs, which will be invaluable primary documents for historians and scholars in the future.
Proposals and Inquiries
Interested authors may submit manuscript proposals or inquiries to Leonardo.
For detailed instructions for manuscript and art preparation, visit Information for Journal Authors.
To submit a completed manuscript, upload at Editorial Express.