Assistant or Associate Professors of Practice of Emerging Media Arts
Assistant or Associate Professors of Practice of Emerging Media Arts: Interactive Media, Virtual Production, Virtual and Mixed Reality, Physical Computing, Gaming, Sonic Arts, Experience Design, Creative Coding
The Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts invites applications for two Assistant or Associate Professors of Practice that have expertise in one or more of the following areas: gaming, virtual production, creative coding, physical computing, human computer interaction, experience design, virtual and augmented reality, and sound design. These are multi-year positions and appointment will be commensurate with experience.
The ideal candidate will:
- Create courses and teach in our undergraduate and, eventually, graduate programs;
- Advise undergraduate students;
- Already possess some experiences in multi-disciplinary collaborations;
- Contribute to the diversity of the Center, enhancing its offerings not only with superior technical and creative skills, but also with cross-cultural perspectives.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, emerging media arts, design or related field
A portfolio of work demonstrating professional achievement in one or more of the following fields:
- Interactive Media
- Immersive Design
- Creative Coding
- Physical Computing
- Human Computer Interaction
- Experience Design
- Virtual and Augmented Reality
- Virtual Production (eg: 3D animation, rigging, and motion capture)
- Strong interest in working collaboratively across disciplines
- Strong commitment to a progressive emerging media arts education and a keen interest in industry developments
- Experience in generative art, simulation, AI, or procedural animation using C#, Python, or other scripts in concert with visual, 3D, or interactive platforms
- Be proficient in either Unreal or Unity
- Have experience developing interactive media projects for professional clients
- Experience in project-based learning pedagogical design
- Festival and/or professional success
These positions come with a stipend to support innovative teaching and creative activity. Our ideal candidates have a broad range of creative and technological proficiencies and are passionate about creating technologically literate generations of makers who can negotiate the nexus of storytelling, design, creative coding, technology, and entrepreneurship.
Current areas of interest and research within the Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts include: interactive storytelling, experience design, procedural content generation/generative methods, computational cinematography, VR/AR/XR, perceptual technologies, machine learning for artists, sonic arts, data and art, immersive and interactive media, immersive design, virtual production, entrepreneurship, and the application of blockchain technologies and Artificial Intelligence.
We are looking for people who continually re-invent the curriculum as an ongoing part of their own commitment to continued professional research and development.We are also inviting applications for a tenure track assistant or associate professor. Please see http://employment.unl.edu/post
The Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts, a newly established $57M facilityand academic degree at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, is re-envisioning the university for the 21st century and how students learn. We are seeking a pioneering faculty team willing to overcome the status quo and foster authentic voices that reimagine immersive design, immersive & interactive media, cinema arts, virtual and mixed reality, gaming, extended theatre, sonic arts, data + art, physical computing, and spatial and experience design.
We envision being the premiere destination for a faculty seeking a fresh vision beyond today’s media environments that values inclusivity and diversity, plays to the innermost recesses of our imaginations, solves human-scale problems and tells breathtaking stories that stimulate, provoke and inspire.
We focus on experimentation and production both inside and outside of the classroom. Our approach to learning relies more on collaboration rather than competition so as to cultivate a creative environment in which exploration, analysis, risk, and failure can freely occur. Classes are run in a workshop-like environment facilitating active learning and encouraging discussion of concept, content, technique and impact. All faculty are expected to engage with students beyond the classroom through a culture of project assistance, advising, personal consultation and mentoring, and community.
Our brand-new facility has just opened in the Fall of 2019, and we have welcomed our first cohort of undergraduate students. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the founding team and to set the culture of the Center.
Lincoln, Nebraska is the quintessential college community, with its university set in the middle of a dynamic downtown area consisting of restaurants, coffee houses, movie theaters, clubs, bike trails and urban residences. It is a creative, intellectual and vibrant community that loves the arts and is home to the Lied Center for Performing Arts, the Sheldon Museum of Art, and the Mary Riepma Ross Media Arts Center, an art house cinema adjacent to the new Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts.
The Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts is the latest addition to the Johnny Carson School of Theatre and Film, the Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and opened its doors in the Fall of 2019. We seek to be a pre-eminent interdisciplinary program in the emerging media arts, to attract and support visionary creative leaders, and to transform our world through technology and powerful storytelling in order to ensure a brighter and sustainable future for civilization. We have world-class international industry connections. We inspire people to dream bigger.
How to apply:
The search committee will begin formal review of applications on November 11, 2019 and will continue until appointments are made. Interested applicants must first go to http://employment.unl.edu/post
- Cover letter addressing qualifications specific to this position description including descriptions of creative practice and any training or teaching experience
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Names and contact information of three references
- Portfolio –Upload a PDF document that includes a list of links OR one link to your online portfolio specifically curated for the search committee, prioritized with your most accomplished work with any writings/statements or notable reviews about your work
- Philosophy of Teaching Statement (Optional)
The Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts believes that diversity is important. We envision a faculty that will serve an increasingly diverse student body. To that end, we seek a diverse pool of candidates.As an EO/AA employer, qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation. See http://www.unl.edu/equity/noti
Topic Area: Interactive Media, Virtual Production, VR/MR, Physical Computing, Gaming, Sonic Arts, Experience Design, Creative coding