The discussions we have been holding since the beginning of the lockdown express a will to change and not to go back to old negative/harmful ways and behaviors.
In our community meetups, we have heard inspiring and promising ideas. Now we think it is time to put all this together and discuss on how artists can contribute to this reflection. How can artists raise awareness on new practices and enhance discussions at societal level? We know that we want to take action, but how? How can art-science respond in terms of behavior change/virtual exhibition/performance?
Leonardo and STARTS aim at creating a space to exchange and reflect on these questions and fertilize discussions.
We propose to engage a general discussion at the beginning of the first session, followed by the formation of peer-to-peer groups that will discuss specific topics. Participants have the choice of four topics, two related to the environment and two related to data:
Environment – climate – disaster response.
- Global response to climate disaster – How would art/sci address this? What changes in behavior are possible? Which harmful habits do we want to let behind us after the pandemic? How would emerging media of performance and virtual space enable such an experience?
- Lens on the non-human – How are we addressing consumption, rights of the non-human? E.g. animals, space, water. How can we let nature breathe again? How to reflect this on virtual experiences?
Data and surveillance - Access and equity / Privacy and rights.
- What ways that access to information, data and privacy are being enabled/disabled? What changes in behavior are possible? How would emerging media of performance and virtual space enable such an experience?
- What ways is big government and surveillance capital being instituted around the globe? What are our rights around this? What changes in behavior are possible? How would emerging media of performance and virtual space enable such an experience?
We are eager to create a shared space where the four groups will be able to contribute with ideas and reflections between the two sessions that compose the series.
During the second session, we will ask one member from each group to present the ideas developed during the three weeks and possible plans to work further on them.
- Session 1: May 20 (1h30 duration), 9:00 am PST / 6:00 pm CET.
- Session 2: June 18 (1h duration), 9:00 am PST / 6:00 pm CET.
Leonardo/The International Society for the Arts, Sciences and Technology (Leonardo/ISAST) is a nonprofit organization that serves the global network of distinguished scholars, artists, scientists, researchers and thinkers through our programs, which focus on interdisciplinary work, creative output and innovation. From its beginnings, Leonardo has served as THE virtual community for networking, resource-sharing, disseminating best practices, supporting research and offering events in art/science/technology. Find out more
S+T+ARTS — Science + Technology + Arts — is about thinking out-of-the-box and building bridges between these three fields.
With disruptive methods of exploration and an accurate critical eye on the use of technology, artists decisively raise awareness of the societal challenges and global concerns we are facing.
Supported by the European Commission, STARTS is driven by the conviction that science and technology combined with an artistic viewpoint also open valuable perspectives for research and business, through a holistic and human-centered approach.
Since 2016, more than 100 collaborations have been supported between artists, tech and scientists through the four pillars of the initiative: Residencies, Prize, Lighthouses and Academy. The movement is sustained by Regional STARTS Centers, that embrace the mission of facilitating the implementation of the STARTS pillars in diverse European regions. Find out more