This unique residency is a collaborative initiative of Leonardo/The International Society for the Arts, Sciences and Technology (ISAST) and Djerassi Resident Artists Program. Empiricism and intuition are not mutually exclusive. The goal of the project is to explore and expand how the creativity of scientists and artists are connected.
Deadline to apply: March 15 each year for residencies in the following year
All applications for the Scientific Delirium Madness (SDM) residency are processed through the Djerassi Resident Artists Program. The following lists important information and milestones in the application process:
- Deadline for Applications Calls for SDM 2019 applications is open! Deadline: 15 March 2018. Apply here.
- Project Goal Empiricism and intuition are not mutually exclusive. The goal of the SDM program is to explore and expand how the creativity of scientists and artists are connected.
- Location and Scope SDM is a monthlong residency at Djerassi’s 585-acre retreat in the coastal Santa Cruz mountains, south of San Francisco. This is not a product-based residency. Artists and scientists will be free to work on their own projects. Participants will be expected to be in-residence for the entirety of the session. Accommodations, food and local transportation are provided. Residents will also be expected to interact with colleagues in differing fields, participate in a two public forums during their stay and document/share their experiences for both general and academic audiences in the form of blogs and articles in Leonardo published by The MIT Press.
- Who Should Apply Scientists must be involved in significant art-related research and/or be practicing a form of art and/or have original ideas on how to integrate aspects of art and science. This includes but is not limited to poetry, playwriting, fiction, creative nonfiction, choreography, music composition, media arts/filmmaking, painting, sculpture, photography and installation art. By the same token artists must have a track record of work driven by the influence of biology, chemistry, physics, math, environmental or agricultural science. A strong sense of play and experimentation is essential.
- Nominations Scientists, mathematicians and artists will also be proposed via nominators selected by the project’s steering committee.
- Notifications Invitations for residencies will be sent in September 2018.
Inquiries should be directed to Margot H. Knight, Executive Director, Djerassi Resident Artists Program at 2325 Bear Gulch Road, Woodside, CA 94062, email@example.com, or (650) 747-1250; or to Piero Scaruffi, Leonardo Art/Science Evening Rendezvous (LASER) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program is supported in part by the generous gift from Sonia Sheridan in memory of Steve Wilson. In collaboration with